How to Get Rid of Mold
The interesting thing about getting rid of mold is that no matter the type, the same process would be used in most instances. However, there are certain types of mold that are highly toxic and known to cause cancer, as well as lead to death to include black mold. For this reason, while the actual method would be the same used as with other mold types, special precautions would be mandatory.
In response to how to get rid of mold, we wanted to provide a few suggestions using methods that have been proven successful. In addition to this, we offered insight into ways a person should be protected if the mold removal were going to be done outside of hiring a professional. Of course, if a professional were hired, then based on the type and severity of mold, that person would know exactly how to get rid of mold the right way.
Methods of Removal
The most important thing is to know the type of mold problem that exists. If it is black mold, then every precaution should be taken. However, because there are many molds that look similar, we recommend a person doing the work should wear long sleeves and pants, eye protection, hand protection, and even a respiratory mask. That way, if black mold is the problem or mold is dried to where cleaning would release spores into the environment, the individual would be protected.
Regarding how to get rid of mold, the following are some of the most effective and safest processes used.
- EPA-Approved Mold Killer – With this, special peroxygen chemistry is used, which is not only safe but also developed to remove any toxic residue. In addition to killing mold, this type of treatment kills spores found on numerous surfaces. Along with this, surfaces are disinfected and sanitized.
- Natural Remedies – Regarding how to get rid of mold, there are several natural methods that work great, something that more and more people are leaning toward using. Following are recommendations:
- Grapefruit Seed Extract – Another method that works great is this, which has an advantage over other natural methods in that there is only a mild odor. For this, 20 drops of extract would be mixed with two cups of water. The mixture would be poured into a bottle, shaken, and then sprayed on the mold but without rinsing.
- Tea Tree – When it comes to methods for how to get rid of mold natural, this is by far the most effective. Two teaspoons of tea tree oil would be mixed with two cups of water and poured into a spray bottle. Again, after shaking, the area would be sprayed heavily and not rinsed. In most cases, mold would be killed within a day or two.
- Vinegar – It has been discovered that vinegar provides multiple benefits, one being that it helps kill mold. In fact, experts advise that on average 82% of mold would be killed, usually higher. This would involve mixing one-half cup of white wine vinegar with two cups water, placed in a spray bottle, shaken, and sprayed on the involved area without rinsing.
Correcting Issues of Moisture
The reason that mold forms is because of moisture so if a person has a mold problem, there would be some type of moisture problem too. As far as how to get rid of mold, any of the above methods would be acceptable but unless any issue with moisture is corrected, mold would return. Some helpful tips regarding this problem have been provided below:
- Make sure gutters are properly repaired and maintained
- Slope dirt around a home’s foundation away from the house
- Use drip pans for air conditioning and keep them empty
- Maintain a low indoor humidity level
- Clean spills immediately
By following these guidelines, it is possible to get a mold problem, as well as a problem with moisture under control. As stated, this is critical no matter the type of mold but when faced with black mold, killing the fungi and keeping the area free of new mold is imperative to a person’s health.
How To Get Rid of Black Mold?
One of the most common questions that homeowners and building owners ask is: How to get rid of black mold? If the black mold is still starting to grow, you can use home mold removal products like vinegar and bleach. Just make sure that you will keep yourself protected by wearing protective gears like gloves, goggles, and a respirator. Inhaling or being in contact with the black mold’s pores is very dangerous. It can even be transferred from one person to another.
Based from one of the articles of EPA or Environment Protection Agency, here are the key steps to mold remediation:
• Consult health professional as appropriate throughout process
• Select remediation manager
• Assess size of mold problem and note type of mold-damaged materials
• Communicate with building occupants throughout process as appropriate to situation
• Identify source or cause of water or moisture problem
• Select personal protective equipment (PPE)
• Select containment equipment
• Select remediation personnel or team
• Choose between outside expertise or in-house expertise
• Fix water or moisture problem
• Clean and dry moldy materials See Table 2
• Discard moldy items that can't be cleaned
• Dry non-moldy items within 48 hours See Table 1
• Check for return of moisture and mold problem
• If hidden mold is discovered, reevaluate plan
Here is a video about how to get rid of black mold:
How to get rid of black mold is not easy once it scatters in your home. That’s why it is helpful to regularly check the parts of your house that is prone to black mold. You can stop its growth immediately. But do not be too confident that they won’t come back. As long as there is moisture, light, warmth, and oxygen, it will most probably come back and spread again.
Help your friends learn from this information too by giving us a LIKE on facebook or sharing this post on twitter.